Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I choose a different driver type on my cluster vs the worker type?

User16826992666
Valued Contributor

When creating a cluster the driver type defaults to choose the same type as the workers, and this is what I usually choose. But in what of situation would I want to choose a different driver type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sean_owen
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Using the same instance type is a fine default. If you know that you need very large workers, but little happens on the driver, maybe you can save money with a smaller driver. Conversely, you may know that some parts of your notebook involve a lot of data pulled to the driver and some heavy compute on the driver - you'd want a larger one in that case. It really depends.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sean_owen
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Using the same instance type is a fine default. If you know that you need very large workers, but little happens on the driver, maybe you can save money with a smaller driver. Conversely, you may know that some parts of your notebook involve a lot of data pulled to the driver and some heavy compute on the driver - you'd want a larger one in that case. It really depends.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.