Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a parameter in a Databricks SQL dashboard apply to multiple visuals?

User16826992666
Valued Contributor

I have created a few queries and visualizations in Databricks SQL which use parameters. Each query has the same parameter. But when I pin the visualizations to a dashboard, each of the visuals keeps it's own parameter drop down.

I want to have one drop down at the top of the dashboard which applies to multiple visuals. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3

User16826992666
Valued Contributor

To achieve this, you can edit the source of the parameters on each of the visuals on the dashboard. The source for each visual can be changed to read from a shared dashboard parameter.

These are the steps to do this-

1.) First click on the three dots in the top right corner of the visual on the dashboard.

2.) Click on "Edit Parameters"

3.) Click the edit button underneath the "Value Source" column

4.) From there, you can either make that parameter a dashboard level parameter or choose an existing dashboard parameter as the source for the visual

Using this method, you can create one or a series of dashboard level parameters which can then be applied to all of the corresponding visuals on the dashboard.

Has this feature been removed? I cannot find the edit parameters in the menu anymore.

Aleks
New Contributor II

For parameters, the feature is changed. You are now able to assign a mapping to parameters upon adding a new visualization to the dashboard. Parameters which were added to the query AFTER it was included on a dashboard are not available and cause the visualization to fail. Removing and reattaching the visualization resolves the issue.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.