Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How filter condition working in spark dataframe?

senthilkumar
New Contributor

I have a table in hbase with 1 billions records.I want to filter the records based on certain condition (by date).

For example:

Dataframe.filter(col(date) === todayDate)

Filter will be applied after all records from the table will be loaded into memory or I will get filtered records?

1 REPLY 1

muk1
New Contributor II

Hello @senthil kumar​ 

To pass external values to the filter (or where) transformations you can use the "lit" function in the following way:

Dataframe.filter(col(date) == lit(todayDate))

don´t know if that helps. Be careful with the schema infered by the dataframe. If you have that your column is of string type then try to pass a string. If you are working with timestamps make "todayDate" a timestamp, and so on.

You should import the "lit" function in the same way as you import the "col" function:

from pyspark.sql.functions import lit, col

This works in python. I can not say if this works for scala too. The variable todayDate could be the changing variable of a loop. Let´s say

dates_list=["25-03-1990","25-04-1990","25-05-1990"]
for todayDate in dates_list:
    Dataframe.filter(col(date) == lit(todayDate))
    ## Transformations or actions you want to do ##

I think there is a better way to do it with spark functions, but I didnt have the chance to look into it.

Filter will be applied after all records from the table will be loaded into memory or I will get filtered records?

I guess that the file from where data is readed is already related with the dataframe "Dataframe". Apache spark does not make modifications into the data, it just keeps track of what transformations and actions you want to do over them and then process just the needed computations for the output you have choosen. This is done with repartitions (and executors) and lazy evaluation. I can´t find the "Gentle introduction to apache spark" which helps to understand those concepts. This link could help: https://databricks-prod-cloudfront.cloud.databricks.com/public/4027ec902e239c93eaaa8714f173bcfc/3463...

Good luck!! 🙂

muk!!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.