Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle configuration for different environment (e.g. DEV, PROD)?

EricOX
New Contributor

May I know any suggested way to handle different environment variables for the same code base? For example, the mount point of Data Lake for DEV, UAT, and PROD. Any recommendations or best practices? Moreover, how to handle Azure DevOps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Eric Yeung​ , you can put all your configuration parameters in a file (JSON, CONF, YAML whatever you like) and read that file at the beginning of each program.

I like to use the ConfigFactory in Scala for example.

You only have to make sure the file can be read (f.e. if you put in on your data lake, but the file contains the path to the data lake, you are in trouble).

How to handle devops? That is not an easy one. One can go from as simple as using databricks repos to a fully automated deployment pipeline with automated tests etc.

Your question is perhaps a tad too general to answer.

The databricks docs have some information on CI/CD (if that is what you mean by Azure Devops).

Besides all that: if you use notebooks, use the Repos functionality in databricks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ EricOX! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will follow up with my team and get back to you soon.Thanks.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Eric Yeung​ , you can put all your configuration parameters in a file (JSON, CONF, YAML whatever you like) and read that file at the beginning of each program.

I like to use the ConfigFactory in Scala for example.

You only have to make sure the file can be read (f.e. if you put in on your data lake, but the file contains the path to the data lake, you are in trouble).

How to handle devops? That is not an easy one. One can go from as simple as using databricks repos to a fully automated deployment pipeline with automated tests etc.

Your question is perhaps a tad too general to answer.

The databricks docs have some information on CI/CD (if that is what you mean by Azure Devops).

Besides all that: if you use notebooks, use the Repos functionality in databricks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Eric Yeung​  , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help or the above responses help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.