Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Implement Custom Logging in Databricks without Using _jvm Attribute with Spark Connect?

Olaoye_Somide
New Contributor

Hello Databricks Community,

I am currently working in a Databricks environment and trying to set up custom logging using Log4j in a Python notebook. However, I've run into a problem due to the use of Spark Connect, which does not support the _jvm attribute necessary for accessing Log4j directly.

Here's the code I'm using:

from pyspark.sql import SparkSession

spark = SparkSession.builder.getOrCreate()
log4j = spark._jvm.org.apache.log4j
logger = log4j.LogManager.getLogger("com.databricks.example")
logger.setLevel(log4j.Level.ERROR)
logger.error("This is a test error message.")

Upon executing, I receive the following error:

[JVM_ATTRIBUTE_NOT_SUPPORTED] Attribute `_jvm` is not supported in Spark Connect as it depends on the JVM. If you need to use this attribute, do not use Spark Connect when creating your session.

Could anyone suggest an alternative approach for implementing custom logging in a Python notebook on Databricks that complies with the restrictions of Spark Connect? Are there Python-native methods or libraries that integrate well with Databricks for this purpose?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1 REPLY 1

arpit
Contributor III
Contributor III
import logging

logging.getLogger().setLevel(logging.WARN)
log = logging.getLogger("DATABRICKS-LOGGER")

log.warning("Hello")
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.