Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Spot Instances with Azure Data Factory Linked Service

MarcoCaviezel
New Contributor III

In my pipeline I'm using Azure Data Factory to trigger Databricks notebooks as a linked service

I want to use spot instances for my job clusters

Is there a way to achieve this?

I didn't find a way to do this in the GUI.

Thanks for your help!

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarcoCaviezel
New Contributor III

Hi @Werner Stinckens​ ,

Thanks a lot for your helpful information!

Until now I never worked with pools but after taking a closer look at it I can profit from a lot of other advantages on top of the "All Spot" option.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Marco

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ MarcoCaviezel! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marco Caviezel​ - Does the information in this thread, Spot instance in Azure Databricks, answer your question?

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Marco,

the easiest way to do this is using a pool which you defined as 'All Spot'.

In the pool definition you can set 0 as 'min idle' to avoid nodes doing nothing (if you do not want warm instances).

I expect MS to add a 'spot' selector in ADF though, without the need to work with pools.

MarcoCaviezel
New Contributor III

Hi @Werner Stinckens​ ,

Thanks a lot for your helpful information!

Until now I never worked with pools but after taking a closer look at it I can profit from a lot of other advantages on top of the "All Spot" option.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Marco

MarcoCaviezel
New Contributor III

Hi @Werner Stinckens​ ,

Just a quick follow up question.

Does it make sense to you that you can select the following options in Azure Data Factory?

image.pngTo my understanding, "cluster version", "Python Version" and the "Worker options" are defined when I create the cluster in Databricks.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marco

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

It does not make sense indeed as the pool decides this. I think this is still WIP in ADF.

I select the same the python version as the pool, and make sure the autoscaling does not exceed the max nodes.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.