Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent my cluster to shut down after inactivity

ckwan48
New Contributor III

Currently, I am running a cluster that is set to terminate after 60 minutes of inactivity. However, in one of my notebooks, one of the cells is still running. How can I prevent this from happening, if want my notebook to run overnight without monitoring it and why is this happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ravi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Kevin Kim​  As mentioned in the docs at https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/clusters-manage.html#automatic-termination-1 an autoterminating cluster may be terminated while it is running commands. From docs > The auto termination feature monitors only Spark jobs, not user-defined local processes. Therefore, if all Spark jobs have completed, a cluster may be terminated even if local processes are running.

If you want to keep the cluster active all the time, either you can disable "Automatic termination"(if allowed) or create a notebook with simple print or "%sql select 1" commands and schedule it to run at regular intervals(avoid scheduling forever) to keep the cluster active all the time.

Also, did you explore scheduling the notebook as a job? since auto termination is applicable only for all-purpose clusters.

***Note: Idle clusters continue to accumulate DBU and cloud instance charges during the inactivity period before termination.***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ravi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Kevin Kim​  As mentioned in the docs at https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/clusters-manage.html#automatic-termination-1 an autoterminating cluster may be terminated while it is running commands. From docs > The auto termination feature monitors only Spark jobs, not user-defined local processes. Therefore, if all Spark jobs have completed, a cluster may be terminated even if local processes are running.

If you want to keep the cluster active all the time, either you can disable "Automatic termination"(if allowed) or create a notebook with simple print or "%sql select 1" commands and schedule it to run at regular intervals(avoid scheduling forever) to keep the cluster active all the time.

Also, did you explore scheduling the notebook as a job? since auto termination is applicable only for all-purpose clusters.

***Note: Idle clusters continue to accumulate DBU and cloud instance charges during the inactivity period before termination.***

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you just turn off the auto turn off?

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

indeed, uncheck the 'Terminate after x minutes of inactivity' flag

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kevin Kim​ , Were you able to resolve your question through the above-provided solutions?

AmanSehgal
Honored Contributor III

If a cell is already running ( I assume it's a streaming operation), then I think it doesn't mean that the cluster is inactive. The cluster should be running if a cell is running on it.

On the other hand, if you want to keep running your clusters for a specific period of time (say 10pm to 8am), then you can schedule a cron job to invoke at 55th minute to run a basic command in a simple notebook on that very cluster. You can schedule the job execution using a cron expression.

Also, using cluster API, you can monitor if the cluster is running or not.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.