Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking to use the pivot function with Spark SQL (not Python)

nickg
New Contributor III

Hello. I am trying to using the Pivot function for email addresses. This is what I have so far:

Select fname, lname, awUniqueID, Email1, Email2

From xxxxxxxx

Pivot (

count(Email) as Test

For Email

In (1 as Email1, 2 as Email2)

)

I get everything I need except Email1 and Email2 have null values instead of actual email addresses. I just need a little push to get me over the edge. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Please add example source data and desired output.

• "For Email" should be a list of columns to replace. In the source, we have Email1, Email2, so instead, it can be FOR (email1, email2)
  • count the same probably needed is count(awUniqueID)
  • Is 1 and 2 values in Email1 and Email2? If not, another solution is necessary, but it is hard to help without an example

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Please add example source data and desired output.

• "For Email" should be a list of columns to replace. In the source, we have Email1, Email2, so instead, it can be FOR (email1, email2)
  • count the same probably needed is count(awUniqueID)
  • Is 1 and 2 values in Email1 and Email2? If not, another solution is necessary, but it is hard to help without an example

nickg
New Contributor III

source data:

fname lname awUniqueID Email

John Smith 22 jsmith@gmail.com

JODI JONES 22 jsmith@live.com

Desired output:

fname lname awUniqueID Email1 Email2

John Smith 22 jsmith@gmail.com jsmith@live.com

nickg
New Contributor III

Oops. The second name in the source data should be John Smith as well.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Just create a copy of dataframe (or temporary view) rename the Email column to Email2 and than join on with source awUniqueID.

nickg
New Contributor III

Thanks Hubert. I did that and it worked. I still want to get 'Pivot' to work as well.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nick Genova​ , How are you doing? Hope you were able to resolve your problem with @Hubert Dudek​ 's help.

nickg
New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz,

Thanks for your message. I was able to make it work with the workaround that Hubert provided. I would eventually like to make it work with the 'Pivot' command. I have not revisited it and tested the 'Pivot' command as I was on vacation for a couple of weeks.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.