Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install dbutils locally

antoniodavideca
New Contributor III

So. Since I would run a git_source as a notebook_task inside a databricks Job, I read that it's possible to forward to the notebook_task (and of course now to git_source) a bunch of parameters via the `base_parameters` field on Rest API.

But, on my git_source, to retrieve them, I would need to install dbutils locally (mostly for developing my git repository), even if dbutils would be provided out of the box on the databricks cluster.

So, how can I install dbutils on my local repository to use the dbutils.widgets.get function?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

antoniodavideca
New Contributor III

The way I was able to fix, was installing on my local dev environment `databricks-connect` as a pip library. This would emulate the whole databricks `dbutils` package, even if wouldn't work locally. But since I just needed to develop to have the functionality, because it would be eventually deployed anyway on databricks is exactly what I was looking for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III
Dbutils can't be used outside of Databricks.

not be used, mostly to have a git repository that doesn't fail because the library is not even there.

It's not be eventually called outside databricks itself, but for development purpose of the git repository, I would like to having there

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hey there @Antonio Davide Cali​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

antoniodavideca
New Contributor III

The way I was able to fix, was installing on my local dev environment `databricks-connect` as a pip library. This would emulate the whole databricks `dbutils` package, even if wouldn't work locally. But since I just needed to develop to have the functionality, because it would be eventually deployed anyway on databricks is exactly what I was looking for.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.