Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a bash variable, which holds a value to the below subsequent cells in Data bricks notebook?

VeeraNerella
New Contributor III

%sh

export a

a=100

echo $a

OUTPUT: 100

in the below cell trying to use the variable a, but it's not printing the value

%sh

echo $a

OUTPUT:

5 REPLIES 5

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, bash is not supported as notebook language. Instead, it is a magic cell executing shell script on the driver node.

Okay...

In data bricks notebook, is there a way to declare a bash variable as a global variable and use that variable's value in the subsequent cells in the notebook?

like mentioned in the attachment

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

You can configure custom environment variables

1. On the cluster configuration page, click the Advanced Options toggle.
  2. Click the Spark tab.
  3. Set the environment variables in the Environment Variables field.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Veera N​ , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Hubert Dudek​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please do share that with the community as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

VeeraNerella
New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz, seems this is limitation in databricks notebook(S)

"How to use a bash variable, which holds a value to the below subsequent cells in Data bricks notebook?"

So alternatively, i used all commands in the same cell and moved forward, i didn't find any alternative as of now

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.