Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible format detected while writing in Parquet format.

KKo
Contributor III

I am writing/reading data from Azure databricks to data lake. I wrote dataframe to a path in delta format using query a below, later I realized that I need the data in parquet format, and I went to the storage account and manually deleted the filepath. Now, when I try to execute query b it always throwing an error c below. I am pretty sure the filepath now does not exists on the storage because I manually deleted it. What is missing here, is this some kind of bug? Thanks in advance!

a) df.coalesce(1).write.format('delta').mode('overwrite').option('overwriteSchema', 'true').save(filepath)

b) df.coalesce(1).write.format('parquet').mode('overwrite').option('overwriteSchema', 'true').save(filepath)

c) AnalysisException: Incompatible format detected.

A transaction log for Databricks Delta was found at `filepath_delta_log`,

but you are trying to write to `filepath` using format("parquet"). You must use

'format("delta")' when reading and writing to a delta table.

3 REPLIES 3

KKo
Contributor III

Update: I tried Clear state and outputs which did not help, but when I restarted the cluster it worked without an issue. Though the issue is fixed, I still don't know what caused the issue to come in.

Hi @Kris Koirala​,

Thank you for your reply. If you would like to find the RCA of this issue, please go to you driver logs and download the log4j, stdout and stderr logs. These log files will help you to narrow down the RCA and the reason why the error was happening.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kris Koirala​ ​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Jose Gonzalez​ , and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.

If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.