Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Live Table Pipeline with Multiple Notebooks

Dave_Nithio
Contributor

I have two notebooks created for my Delta Live Table pipeline. The first is a utils notebook with functions I will be reusing for other pipelines. The second contains my actual creation of the delta live tables. I added both notebooks to the pipeline settings

image.pngBut the pipeline fails with the error 'Failed to execute python command for notebook' pointing to the function I created in my utils notebook. Alternatively, I attempted to use a %run magic command to force the utils notebook to run first, but it did not work. I was given the warning that magic commands are not supported. Is there any way to force the Delta Live Table Pipeline to load my utils notebook first so that its functions can be referenced while building the pipeline?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vivian_Wilfred
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Dave Wilson​ %run or dbutils is not supported in DLT. This is intentionally disabled because DLT is declarative and we cannot perform data movement on our own.

To answer your first query, there is unfortunately no option to make the utils notebook run first. The only option is to combine utils and your main notebooks together. This does not address the reusability aspect in DLT and we have raised this feature request with the product team. The engineering team is working internally to address this issue. We can soon expect a feature that would address this usecase.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dave_Nithio
Contributor

Per another question we are unable to use either magic commands or dbutils.notebook.run with the pro level databricks account or Delta Live Tables. Are there any other solutions for utilizing generic functions from other notebooks within a Delta Live Table pipeline?

Vivian_Wilfred
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Dave Wilson​ %run or dbutils is not supported in DLT. This is intentionally disabled because DLT is declarative and we cannot perform data movement on our own.

To answer your first query, there is unfortunately no option to make the utils notebook run first. The only option is to combine utils and your main notebooks together. This does not address the reusability aspect in DLT and we have raised this feature request with the product team. The engineering team is working internally to address this issue. We can soon expect a feature that would address this usecase.

Thanks.

fecavalc08
New Contributor III

Hi @Vivian Wilfred​ and @Dave Wilson​ we solved our reusability code with repos and pointing the code to our main code:

sys.path.append(os.path.abspath('/Workspace/Repos/[your repo]/[folder with the python scripts'))

from your_class import *

It just works if your reusable code is in python. Also depending on what you want to do we noticed that DLT is always executed as the last piece of the code no matter what is the position in the script

Could you help me with explain this in detail?

Lets i have notebook abc which is reusable and pqr is the one i will be mentioning in dlt pipeline.

how do i call functions from abc pipeline in pqr?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.