Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Python External UDFs supported in Databricks SQL warehouse?

AnubhavG
Contributor

I tried running a python UDF in the Databricks SQL warehouse but it did not run and gave the "Python UDF is not supported" error.

Can i get a clear picture if the Python External UDFs are supported or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

It's a private preview and It will be supported only in PRO SQL Warehouse and the Serverless SQL Warehouse

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Isn't it released for the public preview yet?

In a webinar, I heard it is planned for Q3​.

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Anubhav Gupta ​, 

UDF's are currently still in private preview with the public preview being pushed back a bit. You can ask your Databricks rep/SA to see if you're eligible (due to early stage technical requirements) for the preview

Thanks for the reply @Landan George​ 

Also Do we have the capability of calling an API using Python UDF in private preview?

If not then ,Is there any way we can call an API in Databricks SQL by any chance?

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Anubhav Gupta​ As of right now there is no network connectivity for SQL UDFs (so no API calls) but that may come later down the line.

I'm not sure if there's a way to use APIs in DB SQL but depending on your use case there might be a workaround using different features.

@Landan George​  The use case is I want to tokenize/encrypt the SQL data using the API call.

Is there a way I can achieve this.

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

It's a private preview and It will be supported only in PRO SQL Warehouse and the Serverless SQL Warehouse

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.