Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass through if a job was run as scheduled or if manual

cmilligan
Contributor II

I have a notebook that sets up parameters for the run based on some job parameters set by the user as well as the current date of the run. I want to supersede some of this logic and just use the manual values if kicked off manually. Is there a way to pass through if a job was kicked off manually or scheduled?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UmaMahesh1
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Coleman Milligan​ ,

One way to try would be to use widgets in the notebooks you are using setting the widget.get default values to be your job parameters. If you are running the job manually, whatever parameters you provide to the job manually would be taken and used.

Hope my understanding of your requirement was clear.

Cheers..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

UmaMahesh1
Honored Contributor III

Hi @Coleman Milligan​ ,

One way to try would be to use widgets in the notebooks you are using setting the widget.get default values to be your job parameters. If you are running the job manually, whatever parameters you provide to the job manually would be taken and used.

Hope my understanding of your requirement was clear.

Cheers..

SS2
Valued Contributor

You can create widgets by using this- dbutils.widgets.text("widgetName", "")

To get the value for that widget:- dbutils.widgets.get("widgetName")

So by using this you can manually create widgets (variable) and can run the process by giving desired value.

If you want to take the value of widgets from the job parameter then you can also ​do.

Sreekanth1
New Contributor II

Can we set widget.text in one task notebook and another task notebook can get that​ value in workflow job ?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.