Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks doesn't stop compute resources in GCP

jose_herazo
New Contributor III

I started using Databricks in Google Cloud but it charges some unexpected costs.

When I create a cluster I notice some compute resources being created in GCP but when I stop the cluster these resources are still up and never shut down. This issue results in some additional charges that exceed the cost per DBU used.

I noticed some alerts in Kubernets that say:

• Pod is blocking scale down because it doesn’t have enough Pod Disruption Budget (PDB)
  • Can’t scale up a node pool because of a failing scheduling predicate

I'm not sure if it is related to this issue in any way.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

how do you deploy your cluster(s)?

I see you mentioning k8s, so it might be the config.

But it could also be a Databricks bug as dbrx is only available on GCP for a short while.

Basically I just created some singlenode clusters inside Databricks, without configuring anything in GCP.

I see after cluster creation Databricks creates some resources in GCP (Kubernetes clusters, compute instances and instance groups). I deleted these singlenode clusters in databricks but resources in GCP keep active. I tried to delete them directly in GCP, and it works, but minutes later they are automatically created again.

I have been using Databricks on Azure without any issues in billing. I also think it could be something related to GCP.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Strange.

That does seem like a bug/feature indeed; or there is something else running on dbrx like a sql warehouse or a job?

Not actually, I just have a blank workspace. I had had created a workspace with a small table in the hivemetastore, one singlenode cluster and a job, but I completely deleted that workspace.

antquinonez
New Contributor II

The answer to the question about the kubernetes cluster regardless of dbx compute and dwh resources running is provided in this thread: https://community.databricks.com/s/question/0D58Y00009TbWqtSAF/auto-termination-for-clusters-jobs-an...

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.