Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a table backed by a SQL server database table automatically get updated if the base table in SQL server database is updated?

andrew0117
Contributor

If I creat a table using the code below: CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS jdbcTable

using org.apache.spark.sql.jdbc

options(

url "sql_server_url",

dbtable "sqlserverTable",

user "username",

password "password"

)

will jdbcTable always be automatically synchronized with sqlserverTable? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pvignesh92
Honored Contributor

Hi @andrew li​ There is a feature introduced from DBR11 where you can directly ingest the data to the table from a selected list of sources. As you are creating a table, I believe this command will create a managed table by loading the data from the sqlserver table to your default warehouse location. Please do DESCRIBE EXTENDED and check the path to see if you have data in there. If there is data, it is not going to sync automatically.

Can you try creating a View with the same way and see what happens there?

Please refer the below link

https://docs.databricks.com/external-data/jdbc.html

AFAIK, DBSQL and Delta lake supports external table on S3 layer like hive external table. The table automatically pickups the data when loaded in S3 layer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pvignesh92
Honored Contributor

Hi @andrew li​ There is a feature introduced from DBR11 where you can directly ingest the data to the table from a selected list of sources. As you are creating a table, I believe this command will create a managed table by loading the data from the sqlserver table to your default warehouse location. Please do DESCRIBE EXTENDED and check the path to see if you have data in there. If there is data, it is not going to sync automatically.

Can you try creating a View with the same way and see what happens there?

Please refer the below link

https://docs.databricks.com/external-data/jdbc.html

AFAIK, DBSQL and Delta lake supports external table on S3 layer like hive external table. The table automatically pickups the data when loaded in S3 layer.

yes, I thought the internal table stored at hive warehouse will not get updated automatically. But to my surprise, the table was synchronized immediately after I manually updated the source table in azure Sql server database.

@andrew li​ That's interesting. I'm curious to try this out and get an answer on how does the Databricks layer know that the source is updated? As it is pull based ingestion pattern, the trigger should be from DBx.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.