Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change data feed on delta live tables

PriyaAnanthram
Contributor III

I have a delta live table where I am reading cdc data and merging this data in silver using apply changes. In silver can I find out what all data has changed since the last run similar to change data feed table_changes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

The docs only mention tables, so that probably means views are not supported.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

if the silver table is a delta lake table, and change data feed is enabled that should be possible.

PriyaAnanthram
Contributor III

thanks for your reply @Werner Stinckens​  i have enabled change data feed but the issue is every time i run the dlt pipeline an overwrite happens so when i do table_changes between versions i see all the changes as inserts?

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

CDF should also deliver updates and deletes, not only inserts. Perhaps the way you merge the table?

I think my main problem is that i havent been able to enable change data feed on the silver layer since its a view..

dlt.create_target_table(f"silver_{schemaName}_{tableName}",table_properties = {'delta.enableChangeDataFeed': 'true'})

I can see the changes so scd is happening...

have been able to enable cdf on the bronze

Error in SQL statement: DeltaAnalysisException: Cannot describe the history of a view.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

The docs only mention tables, so that probably means views are not supported.

PriyaAnanthram
Contributor III

I also have a requirment where i write to a live table (materialized view) and have cdf enabled i want to see the changes but here to i see overwrites happening after dlt pipeline runs

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.