cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot manage permissions for Databricks workspace disconnected from metastore

m997al
Contributor II

So in the Databricks Account console, under "Workspaces", I am trying to configure permissions for a specific workspace that was formerly attached to a metastore, but the metastore is now deleted (on purpose).

No errors show up in the Account console under Workspaces for this workspace, but the "Permissions" section is grayed-out, and when I hover over the "Permissions", I see this:  

"To grant users and groups access to this workspace, go to the Data tab, choose a Unity Catalog metastore, assign the workspace to the metastore, and return to the Permissions tab."

...but I don't want to do that at all.  I want the workspace to run in legacy mode unattached to a metastore.

I do have another Databricks Workspace attached to another metastore.  But this particular one I don't want attached to the metastore, but I do want to be able to access it, but I can't.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @m997alEnsure that the workspace is set to operate in legacy mode. This might involve checking the workspace settings to confirm that it is not expecting a Unity Catalog metastore.

Hi, thanks!  I should have detailed that point in my question.  When I try to login to the Databricks workspace, I get a message of "You do not have permission to access this workspace."  I am the super-admin of the Databricks console.

Then when I go in the console to set permissions to login, it asks me to attach to a metastore.  🙂  

So kind of a catch-22.  Not sure how to solve that?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group