cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for Unity Catalog migration

Rodrigo_Mohr
New Contributor II

Hi, I am looking for a way to better migrate our workspace to Unity Catalog. We have several tables created as external tables and created using mount points, but I am worried that migrating to unity catalog will break those tables if we migrate using external locations. Whats is the best approach for migrating those tables to unity catalog? Should we rewrite the table structure or create brand new tables once we enable unity catalog? I am worries that user access will also be broken in the process as all access is done via mount points now.

2 REPLIES 2

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

for the migration:

https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate.html

The mounts: I am in the process of removing all mounts from our notebooks 😫

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Rodrigo_Mohr you need to mainly consider below things

1. Number of managed tables

2. Number of external tables

in case external tables upgrade tool will help which is built in with UC, where as for managed you need to either go CTAS/Deep clone. but we do have limitations like while migrating external tables it will show which tables can be directly upgraded to UC.

you need to move out form mounts to external locations and that should handle external table upgrades 

once after upgrading you can govern users based on new access that UC supports 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group