cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster Memory Issue (Termination)

egndz
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a single-node personal cluster with 56GB memory(Node type: Standard_DS5_v2, runtime: 14.3 LTS ML). The same configuration is done for the job cluster as well and the following problem applies to both clusters:

To start with: once I start my cluster without attaching anything, I have high memory allocation which 18 GB is used and 4.1 GB is cached. Are all of them just Spark, Python, and my libraries? Is there a way to reduce that as it is 40% of my total memory? 

egndz_2-1712845742934.png

I am using .whl file to include my Python Libraries. Same libraries in my local development with virtual environment(python 3.10) takes 6.1GB space. 

For my job, I run the following code piece:

train_index = spark.table("my_train_index_table")
test_index = spark.table("my_test_index_table")

abt_table = spark.table("my_abt_table").where('some_column is not null')
abt_table = abt_table.select(*cols_to_select)

train_pdf = abt_table.join(train_index , on=["index_col"], how="inner").toPandas()
test_pdf = abt_table.join(test_index , on=["index_col"], how="inner").toPandas()

my tables are all delta tables and their size is (from the catalog explorer):

my_train_index_table: 3.4MB - partition:1

my_test_index_table: 870KB - partition:1

my_abt_table: 3.8GB - partition: 40 

my_abt_table on pandas after where clause: 5.5GB. This is for analysis purpose, I don't convert this spark df to pandas

my_abt_table on pandas after column selection(lots of String Type): 2.7GB This is for analysis purpose, I don't convert this spark df to pandas.

--- 

After running the above code cell, 2 pandas frames are created:

train_pdf is 495 MB

test_pdf is 123.7 MB

At this point when I look at the driver logs, I see that GC (Allocation Failure).

My driver info is as follows:

egndz_1-1712845616736.png

Peak Heap memory is 29GB which I can't make sense in this case.

I tried the following solutions both individually and combined:

1) As Arrow is enabled in my cluster, I added `spark.sql.execution.arrow.pyspark.selfDestruct.enabled True` config to my cluster to free the memory during toPandas() conversion, defined here.

2) Based on this blog I have tried G1GC for garbage collection with `XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=35 -XX:ConcGCThread=20` and ended up with GC (Allocation Failure) again. 

Based on my trials, I can see that something is blocking the GC to free the memory so eventually I get:
`The spark driver has stopped unexpectedly and is restarting. Your notebook will be automatically reattached.`

My main two question is:

1) Why the initial memory is equal to 40% of my total memory? Is it spark, python and my libraries? 

2) With my train_pdf and test_pdf, I would expect `initial memory consumption + my 2 dataframe` more or less, which should be equal to 18.6GB(used)+4.1GB(cached) + 620MB(pandas dataframes), in total 25.3GB. Instead, I end up with 46.2GB(used) + 800MB(cached), in total 47GB. How this is possible?  

Is there anything that I cannot see on this? This is a huge blocker for me now. 

Thank you! 

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @egndz, It seems like you’re dealing with memory issues in your Spark cluster, and I understand how frustrating that can be.

1. Initial Memory Allocation:

• The initial memory allocation you’re observing (18 GB used + 4.1 GB cached) is likely a combination of Spark, Python, and any loaded libraries.
    • Here’s a breakdown:
      • Spark: Spark needs memory for its internal structures, execution plans, and data processing.
      • Python: The PySpark driver runs in a Python process, which also consumes memory.
      • Libraries: Any additional libraries you’ve loaded (such as Pandas, NumPy, etc.) contribute to memory usage.
    • To reduce this initial memory allocation, consider the following:
      • Executor Memory: Adjust the spark.executor.memory configuration to allocate less memory to each executor. However, be cautious not to set it too low, as it may impact performance.
      • Memory Overhead: Tune the memory overhead settings (spark.executor.memoryOverhead and spark.driver.memoryOverhead). These control additional memory used by Spark for off-heap storage and internal data structures.
      • GC Tuning: Optimize garbage collection (GC) settings to free up memory more efficiently during execution.
  2. Memory Consumption with Dataframes:

• Your expectation of memory consumption for train_pdf and test_pdf is reasonable: initial memory + dataframe size.
    • However, the observed memory usage (46.2 GB used + 800 MB cached) exceeds this expectation.
    • Possible reasons:
      • Serialization Overhead: When converting Spark DataFrames to Pandas DataFrames (toPandas()), serialization and deserialization occur. This process can introduce overhead.
      • String Columns: You mentioned having many string columns. String data can consume more memory due to their variable length.
      • Broadcast Variables: If you’re using broadcast variables, they might contribute to memory usage.
      • Driver Memory: The driver’s memory usage (29 GB peak heap) could be impacting overall memory availability.
      • Other Unseen Factors: There might be other factors specific to your workload or environment that are affecting memory usage.
  3. GC (Allocation Failure):

• The GC (Allocation Failure) issue suggests that memory is not being reclaimed effectively.
    • Consider the following steps:
      • GC Tuning: Experiment with different GC settings (e.g., G1GC, CMS) and heap sizes.
      • Memory Leak Investigation: Investigate whether there are memory leaks in your code or libraries.
      • Driver Memory: Monitor the driver’s memory usage during execution. If it’s consistently high, it might cause issues.
  4. Next Steps:

• Review your Spark configuration, especially memory-related settings.
    • Profile your application to identify memory bottlenecks.
    • Consider using Spark’s built-in memory management features (e.g., off-heap storage, memory fractions).
    • Test different configurations and monitor memory usage to find an optimal balance.

Remember that memory tuning can be complex, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. It often requires experimentation and understanding your specific workload.

egndz
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. It seems to me that the reply is GPT answer. I would expect an answer from community as a person as I have tried to solve the issue with GPT already. 

Nevertheless:

1) Initial Memory Allocation: Adjusting memory configuration might be a solution but my question here is that how I can do that, based on what metrics? What is the technical explanation of the issue and solution?

2) Memory Consumption with Dataframes: I am training a ML model with Logistic Regression and LightGBM with Optuna. PySpark does not provide the configuration of these ML models and hyperparam optimization so I must do toPandas() conversion and use scikit-learn and lightgbm libraries. 

3) GC (Allocation Failure): Could you please provide a documentation, blog, book or any feature implementation regarding all of these so I can understand the underlying issue here?

After talking with Databricks Core Team, firstly, I was told that problem is not memory but networking issue:

"The network issue had caused the driver's IP to be out of reach, and hence, the Chauffeur assumed that the driver was dead, marked it as dead and restarted a new driver PID. Since a driver was restarted, the job failed and it should be temporary."

The problem is not temporary and it happens in irregular intervals. 

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.34.27.png

For LightGBM training these are the parameters I am trying with Optuna:

egndz_0-1717670214321.png

I have seen that playing with n_jobs=1 or n_jobs=5 helped me to reduce the rate of error happening in my trials. However, I have observed that when n_jobs=1, jobs with smalller dataset(~150MB) finish faster compared  n_jobs=5 where cross validation should be parallel and faster, which is an unexpected case. When I set n_jobs more than 1, seeing the error chance incrases. 

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.37.17.png

I believe the error is coming from the threading with Optuna and LightGBM (same happens in the Logreg) now. I wonder somehow Optuna(3.5.0), lightgbm(4.3.0) and joblib(1.2.0) libraries creating the problem in the runtime. I am still keep seeing the GC  during the runs as I expect them to see because I am using Optuna.study.optimize function with 

gc_after_trial=True . 

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.44.48.png

I would literally appreciate a lot from the community if someone has an answer for this. I am willing to have a meeting and talk with anyone at this point.

Thanks! 

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @egndz

Thank you for your feedback. I assure you that the response provided was crafted with the intent to address your specific query accurately and effectively.

We are continuously improving our processes and responses to better serve the community. I will seek internal expert guidance and get back to you with a more detailed response.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!