Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "Root storage credential for metastore does not exist"While creating the Databricks Volume in

Rajaniesh
New Contributor III

Hi,

I tried to create the databricks volume in unity catalog but it threw this error:

Root storage credential for metastore XXXXXX does not exist. Please contact your Databricks representative or consider updating the metastore with a valid storage credential https://docs.databricks.com/api- explorer/workspace/metastores/update

Any clue!!

Regards

Rajaniesh

5 REPLIES 5

rajib_bahar_ptg
New Contributor III

did you ever figure out a solution to this?

jlb0001
New Contributor III

I get a similar error when trying to create a table in a new metastore ... which was set up by the Databricks wizard in AWS.  The instructions are a bit confusing and Databricks Support is somewhat non-existent.

[RequestId=005658ec-5b0e-44ad-a08c-50bd8829f6f3 ErrorClass=DAC_DOES_NOT_EXIST]
Root storage credential for metastore XXXXXXXXXXXX-85559ce12aca does not exist.
Please contact your Databricks representative
or consider updating the metastore with a valid storage credential
https://docs.databricks.com/api-explorer/workspace/metastores/update

jlb0001
New Contributor III

I was able to resolve this by doing these 2 main steps (and maybe a 3rd step of setting up an external storage location):

(1) Create the storage credentials from the Data Catalog

(2) Use Postman to call the REST API to update the metastore with the ID of the storage creds, which also required using the REST API to enumerate and confirm the storage credential unique ID

My only guess is that the AWS Quick Start that created this workspace had some sort of bug in the setup script that prevented it from successfully configuring the metastore.  It took several hours of spelunking to get the confidence that this was the right approach.

Note that I did take another step that I did not list above, which was to create a Storage Location within the Data Catalog (see docs in the same place where storage credentials are created) -- but I'm not sure if that was really required and I'm too afraid to remove it now.  I did compare the workspace setup between this and another workspace and saw that that credentials were not displayed when viewed from the top-level Databrocks Account UI, which is exactly what this error message is saying.

pernilak
New Contributor III

Did you find a solution @Rajaniesh ?

leandrochinelli
New Contributor II

In this case, here's what's happening. Your metastore was created without a physical location, and when you don't specify a location for your catalog, by default it uses the metastore's location, which in this case doesn't exist. What I suggest you do, and it's even recommended by the Databricks doc, is to create an external location for your catalog (a container or a bucket, depending on the cloud you're in), and attach your catalog to it. You can then manage access at the catalog level