cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to build LZO-codec

yatharth
New Contributor III

Hi Community i am try to create lzo-codec in my dbfs using:
https://docs.databricks.com/en/_extras/notebooks/source/init-lzo-compressed-files.html

but i am facing the error
Cloning into 'hadoop-lzo'... The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This environment variable is needed to run this program NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE cp: cannot stat '/home/ubuntu/hadoop-lzo/target/hadoop-lzo-*.jar': No such file or directory

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @yatharthIt appears that you’re encountering an issue related to the LZO codec while working with Databricks and Hadoop.

Let’s address this step by step:

1. JAVA_HOME Environment Variable:

• The error message indicates that the JAVA_HOME environment variable is not correctly defined. This variable is essential for running Java-based programs.
    • Ensure that you have set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to a JDK (Java Development Kit) installation, not a JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
    • You can set it in your shell profile (e.g., .bashrc, .bash_profile, or .zshrc) by adding a line like this:
      export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/your/jdk

• Replace /path/to/your/jdk with the actual path to your JDK installation directory.
  2. LZO Codec Configuration:

• The LZO codec is used for compression in Hadoop. To resolve this issue, you need to ensure that the LZO codec is properly configured.
    • Follow these steps:
  3. Check Permissions and Paths:

• Verify that the user running the Databricks job has the necessary permissions to access the LZO files.
    • Ensure that the LZO files have the execute (x) permission set.
    • Double-check the paths and file locations to make sure everything is correctly specified.
  4. Hive-Site Configuration (if applicable):

Remember to adjust the steps based on your specific environment and requirements.

If you encounter any further issues, feel free to ask for additional assistance! 😊