cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Permissions Issue on Databricks

MOUNIKASIMHADRI
New Contributor
I have encountered a technical issue on Databricks.
While executing commands both in Spark and SQL within the Databricks environment, 
I’ve run into permission-related errors from selecting files from DBFS. 
"org.apache.spark.SparkSecurityException: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges" 
and
"SparkSecurityException: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges: User does not have permission SELECT on any file."
Tried many times and I have all the privileges owner has but still unable to resolve the issue.

2 REPLIES 2

Walter_C
Honored Contributor

Hello Mounika, many thanks for your question, are you using a shared access cluster? If yes, shared clusters requires you to grant Select permission on Any file to be able to access DBFS as mentioned on this doc https://docs.databricks.com/en/data-governance/table-acls/any-file.html#how-does-any-file-interact-w...
You can grant this permission by running https://kb.databricks.com/en_US/data/user-does-not-have-permission-select-on-any-file 

Another solution will be to use single user cluster which does not requires it.

NandiniN
Honored Contributor

Hi @MOUNIKASIMHADRI ,

Workspace admins get ANY FILE granted by default. They can explicitly grant it to non-admin users.

Hence as suggested in the kb, 

GRANT SELECT ON ANY FILE TO `<user@domain-name>`

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group