cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Read notebooks programmatically from databricks python notebook

evgvain
New Contributor II

I need programmatically read the content of the specific notebook in my databricks workspace from another notebook in the same workspace. Following the databricks documentation, I extract the path to my notebook and then list all other notebooks in the directory. This works as expected.

notebook_path = os.path.dirname(dbutils.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().notebookPath().getOrElse(None))
for f in dbutils.fs.ls(f"file:/Workspace{notebook_path}"):
    print(f)

For example: FileInfo(path='file:/Workspace/Users/***/Notebook1', name='Notebook1', size=0, modificationTime=0)

Then I try to read a specific notebook:

with open(f"/Workspace{notebook_path}/Notebook1", "r") as _f:
    c = _f.read()

I get the following error:

OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported

File /databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py:282, in _modified_open(file, *args, **kwargs)
    275 if file in {0, 1, 2}:
    276     raise ValueError(
    277         f"IPython won't let you open fd={file} by default "
    278         "as it is likely to crash IPython. If you know what you are doing, "
    279         "you can use builtins' open."
    280     )
--> 282 return io_open(file, *args, **kwargs)

2 REPLIES 2

evgvain
New Contributor II

I was able to do this by using databricks.sdk.WorkspaceClient. However, I looks like a workaround. I would prefer to read the content of notebooks directly.

databricksURL = dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().apiUrl().getOrElse(None)
myToken = dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().apiToken().getOrElse(None)
w = WorkspaceClient(host=databricksURL, token=myToken)
export_response = w.workspace.export(path, format=ExportFormat.JUPYTER)

Any advice appriciated. 

Thanks a lot for sharing your code snippet. Helped me a lot to copy some notebooks into our fileshare.

from databricks.sdk import WorkspaceClient
from databricks.sdk.service import workspace
import base64

def notebook_reader(file_location๐Ÿ˜ž
    databricksURL = dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().apiUrl().getOrElse(None)
    myToken = dbutils.notebook.entry_point.getDbutils().notebook().getContext().apiToken().getOrElse(None)
    w = WorkspaceClient(host=databricksURL, token=myToken)
    export_response = w.workspace.export(file_location, format=workspace.ExportFormat.SOURCE)
    return base64.b64decode(export_response.content)

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group