cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCX code migration

Reply_Domenico
New Contributor II

Hello Databricks Community,

I’m currently in the process of migrating our codebase to Unity Catalog using UCX and would appreciate some advice. Our environment has a mix of jobs and tables running on both Unity Catalog and hive_metastore.

After running the UCX assessment, I noticed that the job list includes those already operating on Unity Catalog. Is there a way to filter or obtain a list that only includes the jobs that still need to be migrated from hive_metastore?

Additionally, does UCX offer any commands for the actual migration of code to Unity Catalog? I understand from the documentation that some features might still be experimental, but I’m looking for any available tools or commands that can help automate or streamline the migration process.

I’ve seen that there are tools for migrating tables, and I’m curious if there’s an equivalent process for migrating code, perhaps using a mapping.csv file or a similar method.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Domenico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brahmareddy
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Reply_Domenico, How are you dong today?

To filter jobs, try adjusting the UCX assessment query or use a script to exclude jobs already on Unity Catalog. Unfortunately, UCX doesn't yet have specific commands for automating code migration to Unity Catalog, so you might need to handle that manually for now. For tables, the mapping.csv file is useful, but for code, consider writing custom scripts to map and update references. Keep an eye on UCX updates, as more tools for migration might become available soon. Good luck with your migration process!

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Brahma

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Brahmareddy
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Reply_Domenico, How are you dong today?

To filter jobs, try adjusting the UCX assessment query or use a script to exclude jobs already on Unity Catalog. Unfortunately, UCX doesn't yet have specific commands for automating code migration to Unity Catalog, so you might need to handle that manually for now. For tables, the mapping.csv file is useful, but for code, consider writing custom scripts to map and update references. Keep an eye on UCX updates, as more tools for migration might become available soon. Good luck with your migration process!

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Brahma

Hi  Brahmareddy,

Thank you, very kind of you. We will try to do it this way.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group