cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

add or change roles

thiagoawstest
Contributor

Hello, I have a Databricks environment provisioned by AWS. I would like to know if it is possible to add new roles or change existing roles. In my environment, Admin and User appear. I have the following need: how can I have a group, but the users that belong to this group cannot create jobs or create clusters. They can only view, that is, be a Reader of the workspace. I can define IAM access permissions for the workspace through Azure, defining the group as "Reader", but I cannot do it this way in AWS. What would be the best practice? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @thiagoawstest, Yes, you can definitely manage roles and permissions in your Databricks environment on AWS to fit your needs. Start by creating custom IAM roles with specific permissions. For instance, you can set up a role that only allows read access and restricts actions like creating jobs or clusters. Next, use Databricks groups to assign these roles, so all members of a group automatically inherit the role's permissions. This approach simplifies managing permissions, especially if you have multiple users needing similar access.

Additionally, leverage identity federation and SCIM provisioning to keep your access controls synchronized with your identity provider. This way, you can centrally manage users and groups, ensuring that your permissions remain up-to-date. Assign workspace permissions to groups rather than individual users for easier management and consistency. By following these practices, you can maintain a well-structured and secure Databricks environment where users in the "Reader" group have the appropriate level of access. If you need further details or specific commands, feel free to ask!

Hello, is there any documentation or example of how to create IAM roles to manage jobs and clusters, to have read-only access, and prevent any user from creating new resources?

Thank you.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group