Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are init scripts breaking clusters?

data_turtle
New Contributor

My Jobs were running just fine, but for some reason all of a sudden they all started failing.  When I looked into it I saw it was an error due to an init script error (we do use an init script).

run failed with error message
 Cluster 1117-045226-lfvc8fde was terminated while waiting on it to be ready: Cluster 1117-045226-lfvc8fde is in unexpected state Terminated: INIT_SCRIPT_FAILURE(CLIENT_ERROR): instance_id:i-009209e91e8cc95e2,databricks_error_message:Cluster scoped init script /test | 290d381e-8eb4-4d6a-80d4-453d82897ecc/testinit.sh failed: Script exit status is non-zero.

What is strange is, I tried just putting in a blank init script and I still got the error above. 

If I completely remove the init script, then everything works fine.

Why would a blank init script cause this error too?  Is something broken in the backend?

1 REPLY 1

User16539034020
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thank you for reaching out to Databricks Support.

Could you please specify the location of the initialization script you are referring to? Additionally, it would be helpful to know whether this is a global init script or one specific to a cluster. We generally recommend storing init scripts within workspace files.
Referece: https://docs.databricks.com/en/files/workspace-init-scripts.html

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.