Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

process logging optimisation

BriGuy
New Contributor II

I have created a process that runs a notebook multiple times in parallel with different parameters.  This was working quite quickly.  However I've added several logging steps that are appending log details to a dataframe then using dataframewriter to append the existing delta table.  This seems to significantly slow down the process.  I think each appends to the table are blocking other appends.

Is there a best practice for logging into 1 table from multiple processes?  If I were using SQL server I'd consider setting up a message queue.  It is acceptable for log entries to be inserted out of sequence as we can sort by timestamp but it is essential that all log entries are inserted even if the parent process is terminated.

As the table will only ever be appended to I don't need the time travel functionality if that makes a difference.  

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BriGuy, Regarding your Databricks SQL Editor issue, you’re not alone! Several users have faced similar problems. 

Here are some steps you can take:

Contact Databricks Support:

Workaround:

Workspace Settings:

Visual Studio Code (VS Code) Integration:

• If you’re using VS Code with Databricks, ensure that the Databricks extension is up to date.
  • Sometimes extensions can cause unexpected behavior.

Remember, troubleshooting such issues can be frustrating, but persistence pays off. Hopefully, Databricks support or community feedback will provide a solution soon! 🚀

BriGuy
New Contributor II

I don't think this relates to my issue.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.