cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expand and read Zip compressed files not working

MrDataMan
New Contributor II

I am trying to unzip compressed files following this doc (https://docs.databricks.com/en/files/unzip-files.html) but I am getting the error.

When I run:

dbutils.fs.mv("file:/LoanStats3a.csv", "dbfs:/tmp/LoanStats3a.csv") 

I get the following error: 

java.io.FileNotFoundException: File file:/LoanStats3a.csv does not exist

Where is the unzipped csv file being saved? I also tried "file:/tmp/file:/LoanStats3a.csv" as the location but that did not work either.

2 REPLIES 2

MrDataMan
New Contributor II

Didn't solve the issue with this example but I figured out how to specify the location where the unzipped files are saved using an unzipping library.

I used gunzip to unzip my own gzip files like this:

for file in "$SOURCE_DIR"/*.gz; do
echo "Unzipping $file..."
gunzip -c "$file" > "$TARGET_DIR/$(basename "$file" .gz)"
rm "$file" # Delete the original .gz file
done

gabsylvain
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey @MrDataMan,

I wasn't able to reproduce the exact same error you did get, but I still got a similar error while trying to run the example. To solve it, I tweaked the code a little bit:

%sh curl https://resources.lendingclub.com/LoanStats3a.csv.zip --output /dbfs/tmp/LoanStats3a.csv.zip
unzip /dbfs/tmp/LoanStats3a.csv.zip -d /dbfs/tmp/

As you can see, I have changed the output location of the curl command and I have specified the destination of the unzip command so that both point to DBFS instead of the root tmp/ directory.

Then we can read it using Spark: 

df = spark.read.format("csv").option("skipRows", 1).option("header", True).load("dbfs:/tmp/LoanStats3a.csv")
display(df)

Note: Access to DBFS is required for this example.

Thanks,

Gab

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!