cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Issue while connecting to Databricks using Looker Studio

ashraf1395
Contributor II

So previously I created source connections from looker with Databricks using my personal access token.

I followed this databricks docs. 
https://docs.databricks.com/en/partners/bi/looker-studio.html

But from 10 July, I think basic authentication has been removed from databricks.
I am getting this error now

ashraf1395_0-1723631031231.png

I checked the docs and found out that we can correct this by using service principals instead of personal access token.

So I have created service prinipal, and given these permissions

ashraf1395_1-1723631308249.png

and generated secret key.

Now how should i authenticate it in looker.

What should i pass in Username field - "token", or service principal name or client id or anything else I tried all these got error.

ashraf1395_2-1723631479463.png

@Kaniz_Fatma 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

menotron
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You would still connect using OAuth tokens. It is just that Databricks recommends using personal access tokens belonging to service principals instead of workspace users. To create tokens for service principals, see Manage tokens for a service principal. But your personal access token should work just fine as long as it hasn't expired and you have access to SQL Warehouse.

To make sure you are setting up a fresh connection ensure you revoke all existing access by doing the following.
1. Go to Manage your Google Account > Security > Your connections to third-party apps & services > Databricks Connector for Data Studio. And revoke all access and delete the connection if needed.

menotron_2-1723706330697.png

2. Revoke access in Looker

menotron_0-1723705941313.png

Now setup a new connection by authorizing the connector

menotron_1-1723706078042.png

Then when you are prompted to enter the Databricks credentials enter 'token' as the Username and the personal access token in the Password field.

menotron_3-1723706796367.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

menotron
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You would still connect using OAuth tokens. It is just that Databricks recommends using personal access tokens belonging to service principals instead of workspace users. To create tokens for service principals, see Manage tokens for a service principal. But your personal access token should work just fine as long as it hasn't expired and you have access to SQL Warehouse.

To make sure you are setting up a fresh connection ensure you revoke all existing access by doing the following.
1. Go to Manage your Google Account > Security > Your connections to third-party apps & services > Databricks Connector for Data Studio. And revoke all access and delete the connection if needed.

menotron_2-1723706330697.png

2. Revoke access in Looker

menotron_0-1723705941313.png

Now setup a new connection by authorizing the connector

menotron_1-1723706078042.png

Then when you are prompted to enter the Databricks credentials enter 'token' as the Username and the personal access token in the Password field.

menotron_3-1723706796367.png

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group