Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cluster Setup for intensive transformation workload

AChang
New Contributor III

I have a pyspark dataframe, 61k rows, 3 columns, one of which is a string column which has a max length of 4k. I'm doing about 100 different regexp_replace functions on this dataframe, so, very resource intensive. I'm trying to write this to a delta table, but it seems no matter what compute I use I can't seem to get it to run in an hour. I know the code works because I limited it to 500 rows to test and it ran in about 30 seconds, so I know it just has to do with the magnitude of the data. Has anyone done something on this scale before, and do you know how I get this to run in an hour without breaking the bank?

1 REPLY 1

Leonardo
New Contributor III

It seems that you're trying to apply a lot of transformations, but it's basic stuff, so I'd go for the best practices documentation and find a way to create a compute-optimized cluster.

Ref.: https://docs.databricks.com/en/clusters/cluster-config-best-practices.html#basic-batch-etl

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.