cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect power BI desktop to Azure databricks

chari
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to connect Power BI desktop to azure databricks (source: delta table) by downloading a connection file from Databricks. I see an error message like below when I open the connection file with power BI. Repeated attempts have given the same message. Could I please get any help ?

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: Could not resolve host for client socket.."

Thanks

Veeru

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @chari, Check if you are using the correct Databricks ODBC driver version that is compatible with your cluster version. Sometimes using an incompatible version can also cause such errors. You can find compatible Databricks ODBC driver versions for each cluster version in this link.

chari
Contributor

Actually, the Azure Databricks cluster is managed by IT team. So there are some boundaries as I am granted only usage privelages.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @chari , To resolve this issue, I would recommend checking the following:

1. Ensure that the connection file you downloaded from Databricks is correct and up-to-date.
  2. Check if the Databricks server is up and running.
  3. Verify that the Databricks server is accessible from your network. You can try pinging the server to check if it’s reachable.
  4. Check if there are any firewall rules or network restrictions that might be blocking the connection.

If none of these steps help, you can try manually connecting Power BI Desktop to Azure Databricks using a custom SQL query. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in the official Microsoft documentation.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.