Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom ENUM input as parameter for SQL UDF?

EWhitley
New Contributor II

Hello  - 

We're migrating from T-SQL to Spark SQL. We're migrating a significant number of queries.

"datediff(unit, start,end)" is different between these two implementations (in a good way).  For the purpose of migration, we'd like to stay as consistent with possible, so I was evaluating writing a custom migration-specific UDF that emulated the t-sql behavior - so people could transition over time with minimal disruption.
I'm bumping into something I have no idea how to achieve - allowing ENUMs to be exposed to SQL from a Python function.
For example - 

SELECT
DATEDIFF(
    DAY,  -- <---- the enum unit
    TIMESTAMP'1999-12-31 23:59:59',
    TIMESTAMP'2000-01-01 23:59:58'
) diff_day

Note the "DAY" there is NOT a string - it's some for of ENUM exposed to Spark SQL. I'd like to achieve that similar behavior if at all possible, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I'm writing the function in Python and then registering the UDF ala:

def my_date_diff(unit, start_date, end_date๐Ÿ˜ž

spark.udf.register("udf_my_date_diff", my_date_diff, IntegerType())

When I call this in SQL, though, I get an error (which I kind of expected):

%sql

select udf_my_date_diff(DAY, TIMESTAMP'1999-12-31 23:59:59', TIMESTAMP'2000-01-01 23:59:58')

[UNRESOLVED_COLUMN.WITHOUT_SUGGESTION] A column, variable, or function parameter with name `DAY` cannot be resolved. SQLSTATE: 42703

Is there a way to expose my custom ENUM as a type when calling the UDF from SQL?

0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.