Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks bug with show tblproperties - redacted - Azure databricks

SamDataWalk
New Contributor III

I am struggling to report what is a fairly fundamental bug. Can anyone help? Ideally someone from Databricks themselves. Or others who can confirm they can replicate it.

There is a bug where databricks seems to be hiding “any” properties which have the characters “user” in them.

This is not just in the display, but in the actual underlying result set.

To reproduce the bug.

create or replace view tmp_view

tblproperties (   notes='userid',   notes2='myuserid',   something='this will be fine')

as

select 1 as a;

Now in the next cell just run

show tblproperties tmp_view

and it doesn’t just hide the data from the diusplay, but it changes the data inside the resultset. My application which connects to databricks and runs this command is actually getting the string *****(redacted)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SamDataWalk
New Contributor III

I managed to get a response back from support at databricks.

Admittedly it is a bit nuclear, but there is a way of switching it off.

spark.conf.set("spark.databricks.behaviorChange.SC102534CommandRedactProperties.enabled", False)
So, I have managed to use this, to temporarily switch it off whilst this bit of my code is extracting the meta data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PatDBX
New Contributor II

I understand that yours is a View. For my case, it's a Table so I could use `desc detail <schema_name>.<table_name>` to get the table properties info that are not redacted in the `properties` column from the `desc detail` output.

SamDataWalk
New Contributor III

Yes, it is indeed a view which that command errors for.

thanks anyway, appreciate the suggestion 

SamDataWalk
New Contributor III

I managed to get a response back from support at databricks.

Admittedly it is a bit nuclear, but there is a way of switching it off.

spark.conf.set("spark.databricks.behaviorChange.SC102534CommandRedactProperties.enabled", False)
So, I have managed to use this, to temporarily switch it off whilst this bit of my code is extracting the meta data.