cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Model Registry Notification

Chengzhu
New Contributor
Hi community,

Currently, I am training models on databricks cluster and use mlflow to log and register models. My goal is to send notification to me when a new version of registered model happens (if the new run achieves some model performance baseline, I would use mlflow to register it as a new version)

First of all, I turn on for "Model Registry email notifications" in the setting. I also noticed that in the Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 1.14.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-17 at 1.13.14 PM.png"Registered Models" page, it claims that "Notify me about All new activity". But, when a new version of registered model exists, I do not receive email notification. Is this a bug or I just misunderstand something?
1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Chengzhu, It seems like you’re using MLflow’s Model Registry to manage the lifecycle of your machine learning models.

Let’s explore this further.

The MLflow Model Registry provides a centralized model store, APIs, and a UI to collaboratively manage the full lifecycle of MLflow models.

Here are some key concepts related to the Model Registry:

1. Model: An MLflow Model is created from an experiment or run that is logged with one of the model flavor’s mlflow.<model_flavor>.log_model() methods. Once logged, this model can be registered with the Model Registry.

2. Registered Model: An MLflow Model can be registered with the Model Registry. A registered model has a unique name and contains versions, aliases, tags, and other metadata.

3. Model Version: Each registered model can have one or many versions. When a new model is added to the Model Registry, it is assigned version 1. Subsequent registrations of the same model increment the version number. Model versions can have tags, which are useful for tracking attributes (e.g., pre-deployment checks).

4. Model Alias: Model aliases allow you to assign a mutable, named reference to a specific version of a registered model. For example, you can create an alias named “champion” that points to version 1 of a model named “MyM...1.

Regarding email notifications, MLflow does not natively provide email notifications for new model versions. However, there are alternative approaches you can consider:

1. Webhooks: You can set up webhooks to automatically trigger actions based on registry events. For example, you could create a webhook that sends an email notification when a new model version is registered.

2. Custom Solution: You can build a custom solution using MLflow’s Python API. For instance, you could periodically query the Model Registry to check for new versions and then send email notifications based on your criteria.

3. Third-Party Tools: Consider using third-party tools or services that integrate with MLflow. Some platforms provide event-based notifications for model registry changes, which could include ema...2.

Remember to verify your MLflow configuration and ensure that the “Model Registry email notifications” setting is correctly configured. If you’re still not receiving notifications, consider exploring the options mentioned above to implement custom notifications based on your requirements.

If you need further assistance or have additional questions, feel free to ask! 😊

To ensure we provide you with the best support, could you please take a moment to review the response and choose the one that best answers your question? Your feedback not only helps us assist you better but also benefits other community members who may have similar questions in the future.

If you found the answer helpful, consider giving it a kudo. If the response fully addresses your question, please mark it as the accepted solution. This will help us close the thread and ensure your question is resolved.

We appreciate your participation and are here to assist you further if you need it!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group