cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Datbricks JDK 17 upgrade error

prith
New Contributor III

We tried upgrading to JDK 17

Using Spark version 3.0.5 and runtime 14.3 LTS

Getting this exception using parallelstream()

With Java 17 I am not able to parallel process different partitions at the same time.  This means when there is more than 1 partition to process, Java11 (which allows parallel processing) takes ~75 minutes while Java 17 takes  ~150 minutes.The exception I face in Java 17 when I use list.parallelStream().foreach() is (workflow that faced this exception:

SecurityException: java.lang.SecurityException: setContextClassLoader Caused by: SecurityException: setContextClassLoader at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499) at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:480) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.getThrowableException(ForkJoinTask.java:562) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.reportException(ForkJoinTask.java:591) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.invoke(ForkJoinTask.java:689) at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateParallel(ForEachOps.java:159) at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateParallel(ForEachOps.java:173) at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:233) at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:596) at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:765)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

raphaelblg
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello @prith,

The Databricks DBR is bundled with Java already. For DBR 14.3 the system environment is:

• Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

• Java: Zulu 8.74.0.17-CA-linux64

• Scala: 2.12.15

• Python: 3.10.12

• R: 4.3.1

• Delta Lake: 3.1.0

Changing the DBR Java version is not supported.

Best regards,

Raphael Balogo
Sr. Technical Solutions Engineer
Databricks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

raphaelblg
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello @prith,

The Databricks DBR is bundled with Java already. For DBR 14.3 the system environment is:

• Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

• Java: Zulu 8.74.0.17-CA-linux64

• Scala: 2.12.15

• Python: 3.10.12

• R: 4.3.1

• Delta Lake: 3.1.0

Changing the DBR Java version is not supported.

Best regards,

Raphael Balogo
Databricks

prith
New Contributor III

Well we use spark_version: "14.3.x-scala2.12" along with

spark_env_vars:
JNAME: "zulu17-ca-arm64"

This is a pure java jar based workflow - the entire code and jar is in Java - nothing to do with Scala / Python

@prith, Databricks DBR includes a specific Java version, and altering it is not a supported scenario by Databricks. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Raphael Balogo
Databricks

prith
New Contributor III

I'm sorry - I dont understand - We are not trying to alter the JDK version.. Isn't JDK 17 supported or not?

Hello @prith ,

Currently, Java 17 is not available on Databricks runtimes (DBR). If JDK 17 becomes available on Databricks in the future, it will be included in the DBR. You can refer to the Databricks Runtime release notes versions and compatibility .

Best regards,

Raphael Balogo
Databricks

prith
New Contributor III

Anyways - thanks for your response - We found a workaround for this error and JDK 17 is actually working - it appears faster than JDK 8

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!