cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbutils.secrets.get- NoSuchElementException: None.get

Sandesh87
New Contributor III

The below code executes a 'get' api method to retrieve objects from s3 and write to the data lake.

The problem arises when I use dbutils.secrets.get to get the keys required to establish the connection to s3

my_dataframe.rdd.foreachPartition(partition => {
        val AccessKey = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = "ADB_Scope", key = "AccessKey-ID")
        val SecretKey = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = "ADB_Scope", key = "AccessKey-Secret") 
        val creds = new BasicAWSCredentials(AccessKey, SecretKey)
        val clientRegion: Regions = Regions.US_EAST_1
        val s3client  = AmazonS3ClientBuilder.standard()
        .withRegion(clientRegion)
        .withCredentials(new AWSStaticCredentialsProvider(creds))
        .build()
          partition.foreach(x => {
            val objectKey = x.getString(0)
            val i = s3client.getObject(s3bucketName, objectKey).getObjectContent
            val inputS3String = IOUtils.toString(i, "UTF-8")
            val filePath = s"${data_lake_get_path}"
            val file = new File(filePath)
            val fileWriter = new FileWriter(file)
            val bw = new BufferedWriter(fileWriter)
            bw.write(inputS3String)
            bw.close()
            fileWriter.close()
          })
      })

The above results in the error:-

Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException: None.get

at scala.None$.get(Option.scala:529)

at scala.None$.get(Option.scala:527)

at com.databricks.dbutils_v1.impl.SecretUtilsImpl.sc$lzycompute(SecretUtilsImpl.scala:24)

at com.databricks.dbutils_v1.impl.SecretUtilsImpl.sc(SecretUtilsImpl.scala:24)

at com.databricks.dbutils_v1.impl.SecretUtilsImpl.getSecretManagerClient(SecretUtilsImpl.scala:36)

at com.databricks.dbutils_v1.impl.SecretUtilsImpl.getBytesInternal(SecretUtilsImpl.scala:46)

at com.databricks.dbutils_v1.impl.SecretUtilsImpl.get(SecretUtilsImpl.scala:61)

When the actual secret scope values for AccessKey and SecretKey are passed the above code works fine.

How can this work using dbutils.secrets.get so that keys are not exposed in the code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sandesh Puligundla​ , You just need to move the following two lines:

val SecretKey = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = "ADB_Scope", key = "AccessKey-Secret")

Outside of the foreachpartition block, so these functions will be executed in the context of the driver and sent to the worker nodes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Howdy @Sandesh Puligundla​ - Thank you for your question. Thank you for your patience. I'd like to give this a bit longer to see how the community responds. Hang tight!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sandesh Puligundla​ , You just need to move the following two lines:

Outside of the foreachpartition block, so these functions will be executed in the context of the driver and sent to the worker nodes.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!