Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging options if you are using streaming, RDDs and SparkContext?

Shenstone
New Contributor

Hi all,

I've been trying to make use of some of the more recent tools for debugging in Databricks: pdb in the Databricks web interface with the variable explorer described in this article.I've also been trying to debug locally using the VSCode extension as mentioned in this article.

However, both approaches to debugging have been unsuccessful for the following reasons:

• pdb doesn't seem to work with streaming as I am unable to enter commands like continue etc if I am in a notebook that uses streaming as the command box doesn't come up (I can see the execution paused if I look at the cluster logs though).
  • The VS Code extension depends on Databricks Connect for the local debug functionaily. Connect does not seem to yet support RDDs or the SparkContext object so I can't proceed with this route either.

Am I out of luck if I want to set breakpoints and see the variable values in my code? It is becoming very time consuming only being able to debug with print statements and console logs as the code becomes more complex.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shenstone , 

- Limitations exist with pdb and VSCode extension with Databricks Connect.

- **Databricks Connect**:
 - Doesn't support RDDs or SparkContext object.
 - Use DatabricksSession object for debugging.
 - Initialize DatabricksSession class with DatabricksSession.builder.getOrCreate().
 - This establishes a debugging context between Databricks Connect and your cluster.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.