cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling query caching for SQL Warehouse

Marvin_T
New Contributor III

Hello everybody,

I am currently trying to run some performance tests on queries in Databricks on Azure. For my tests, I am using a Classic SQL Warehouse in the SQL Editor.

I have created two views that contain the same data but have different structure -> I am trying to see if those different structures affect query performance.

My issue:

To test the performance I am running similiar queries that result in the same output for the individual views. Caching of course screws with the results as the output is fully cached from the previous query.

I have tried to do the following things already:

• SET use_cached_result = false; -> Does not impact my query caching unfortunately
  • CLEAR CACHE; -> Does not work on SQL Warehouses
  • spark.conf.set("spark.databricks.io.cache.enabled", "false") -> Also doesnt impact the query caching

Looking at the caching structure of databricks I guess I need to disable the UI Cache, but I can't find any information on how to do so. Does anybody know how to solve my problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marvin_T
New Contributor III

They are probably executing the same query plan now that you say it. And yes, restarting the warehouse does theoretically works but it isnt a nice solution.

I guess I will do some restarting and build averages to have a good comparison for now

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

besides caching, are you sure the queries execute a different query plan?

I'd think (not sure though) that if you stop the warehouse, the cache gets cleared. Perhaps that is useable?

Marvin_T
New Contributor III

They are probably executing the same query plan now that you say it. And yes, restarting the warehouse does theoretically works but it isnt a nice solution.

I guess I will do some restarting and build averages to have a good comparison for now

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!