cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT apply_changes applies only deletes and inserts not updates

Anske
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a DLT pipeline that applies changes from a source table (cdctest_cdc_enriched) to a target table (cdctest), by the following code:

dlt.apply_changes(
    target = "cdctest",
    source = "cdctest_cdc_enriched",
    keys = ["ID"],
    sequence_by = col("tran_begin_time"),
    apply_as_deletes = expr("operation = 1"),
    except_column_list = ["operation","tran_begin_time"],
    stored_as_scd_type = 1
)
Now if I add an 'update' row to the source table and update the pipeline, the update is not applied to the target table, even though it is added to the source table. The source table follows the structure of a cdc table in SQL Server. 
A screenshot of the data that is in the source table is attached, as well as a screenshot of the target table not showing updated data (don't be fooled by some of the - updated values in test1 column, those are the result of a backfill). 

Is this is a known issue? Has anyone else had trouble with applying update operations sql server style (where update creates 2 records, one with the data before update (operation 3). and one with the data after update (operation 4)? Or am I doing something completely wrong?
0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.