cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Environment magic command?

Kayla
Valued Contributor

Noticed something strange in the Databricks version control- I'm getting hidden commands with %environment that I can only see in the UI for version control. No idea what it's from, just a minor nuisance I'm curious if anyone can shed light on.

+ %environment
+ "client": "1"
+ "base_environment": ""

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

justinbreese
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello all, this is Justin from the PM team at Databricks. We are sorry about the friction this caused you. This was a feature related to the new way that we are doing dependency management in our serverless offerings - Environments. We are going to re-vamp the feature a bit so that it is not causing phantom diffs in your notebooks like this. I'll have some more updates in the coming weeks.

If you are using our Serverless offerings with repos then please email me (justin.breese@databricks.com) if you're interested in helping us shape this product area.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RPalmer
New Contributor III

We are seeing the same issue since yesterday. Like you we only see it in the version control UI and not in the actual notebook itself. These 3 lines are getting added and showing in version control even if I just open the notebook and don't make any changes. Where other changes have been made to the notebook and then committed to my branch the 3 lines are getting added as a separate cell at the end of the notebook.

biafch
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue and really don't know what to do with it?

crowley
New Contributor III

same problem for me since yesterday; it is adding code arbitrarily to notebooks and that's a security risk to say the least... what other code is going to be added?  what does this code do when devs keep missing it at the far bottom of large diffs?

wrappid
New Contributor II

yes this is bad. It's messing our diffs, cicd and creating conflicts

IvyD98
New Contributor II

may I know how it messed up your cicd? 

MGencsoy
New Contributor II

I have the same issue. Any fix for that?

garvitkh
New Contributor II

Same issue for me as well

Kayla
Valued Contributor

@Kaniz_Fatma 
Any chance we could get some weigh-in from Databricks?
Sounds like a lot of people are seeing this.

RPalmer
New Contributor III

At least in our case this issue seems to have stopped and in fact the necessary changes to remove these 3 rows showed yesterday when I went to commit a change to a notebook.

Are other people still seeing the 3 rows getting added?

crowley
New Contributor III

same, haven't seen the issue for a few days... and haven't seen any response from Databricks as to why it happened, or why it stopped.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

My guess it was something that by accident was put into production.
Had the same issue for like 2 days (or even one) and it disappeared afterwards.

justinbreese
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello all, this is Justin from the PM team at Databricks. We are sorry about the friction this caused you. This was a feature related to the new way that we are doing dependency management in our serverless offerings - Environments. We are going to re-vamp the feature a bit so that it is not causing phantom diffs in your notebooks like this. I'll have some more updates in the coming weeks.

If you are using our Serverless offerings with repos then please email me (justin.breese@databricks.com) if you're interested in helping us shape this product area.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group