cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when create an external location using code

noimeta
Contributor II

I'm trying to create an external location from notebook, and I got this kind of error

[PARSE_SYNTAX_ERROR] Syntax error at or near 'LOCATION'(line 1, pos 16)

== SQL ==
CREATE EXTERNAL LOCATION IF NOT EXISTS test_location URL 's3://test-bronze/db/test_schema/test_table' WITH (STORAGE CREDENTIAL test-credential)
----------------^^^

I tried with DBR10.4, DBR11.1 and DBR11.2, unfortunately, none of them worked.

However, SHOW EXTERNAL LOCATIONS and DESCRIBE EXTERNAL LOCATION *** work just fine.

Also, I can create an external location from the UI without any problem

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pat
Honored Contributor III

It seems like error is due to '-' in the storage credential name, you need to use backticks `some-name`:

CREATE EXTERNAL LOCATION IF NOT EXISTS test_location URL 's3://test-bronze/db/test_schema/test_table' WITH (STORAGE CREDENTIAL `test-credential`)

thanks,

Patryk.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Seems to be ok at first sight. Do you run it from Databricks SQL ( the SQL persona)?

I tried with both Databricks SQL and notebook, but they outputted the same error.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

can you create an external location from that particular location using the UI?

To exclude that being an issue...

yes, the UI works fine

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Strange. I can't test it myself as I am on Azure.

maybe it is the url you provide? On Azure I also have to define the blob container and storage account:

abfss://<container_name>@<storage_account>.dfs.core.windows.net/<path>

I just imitated the code from an example here https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/manage-external-locations-and-credentials.... and it's also the same path when I inputted to the UI. Now, I have no idea why it doesn't work.

Hi @noi metaaphanon​ , We're extremely sorry for the negative experience you're facing with the above example. Can you please help us with filing a support ticket for the same here?

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​ ,

Thank you very much for your response.

I've been trying to submit a case, but it always asks me to sign in.

After I signed in with my Databricks workspace account, it jumped to the community home page. So, I came to this post and clicked your link again, then it asked me to log in again.

Hi @noi metaaphanon​, Thank you for your feedback. Our team shall reach out and help you with the issue you've been facing. Please drop an email at community@databricks.com.

constantins
New Contributor II

I am facing the same problem. Was this resolved? If so, what was the solution?

unfortunately, not yet

Hi @Constantin Sapkidis​ and @noi metaaphanon​, Please drop an email at community@databricks.com.

mguentazdir
New Contributor II

Hi, is there a new status here? Is there a workaround which does not include the GUI? I am using Databricks on Azure and i am running into the same issue.

Thx.

In my case, yes, the problem is solved. Please check the best answer.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group