Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First notebook in ML course fails with wrong runtime

IonFreeman_Pace
New Contributor III

Help! I'm trying to run this first notebook in the Scalable MachIne LEarning (SMILE) course.

https://github.com/databricks-academy/scalable-machine-learning-with-apache-spark-english/blob/publi...

It fails on the first cell with

AssertionError: The Databricks Runtime is expected to be one of ['11.3.x-cpu-ml-scala2.12'], found "11.3.x-scala2.12". Please see the "Troubleshooting | Spark Version" section of the "Version Info" notebook for more information.

There's no more information in the Version Info notebook. I set the version to 11.3 and turned off photon to try to get it to match, but I don't see how to get 'cpu-ml' in there.

I suppose I can just modify the 'supported_dbrs' list in Includes/_common, but that seems like it might cause trouble later.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

it means your cluster type has to be a ML runtime.

When you create a cluster in databricks, you can choose between different runtimes.

These have different version (spark version), but also different types:

For your case you need to select the ML menu option.image

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

IonFreeman_Pace
New Contributor III

It definitely caused trouble later

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

it means your cluster type has to be a ML runtime.

When you create a cluster in databricks, you can choose between different runtimes.

These have different version (spark version), but also different types:

For your case you need to select the ML menu option.image

Ah, OK, Cool. Thanks for your help. I somehow didn't see that yesterday. I guess you have to know where to look.

Select kernel from ML submenu

Gautamp
New Contributor II

was helpful for me too. Thank you for your help during my journey of learning databricks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.