cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting JOB-ID dynamically to create another job to refer as job-task

ramy
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a new job in Databricks Asset Bundles which refers to another job-task and passing parameters to it. However, the previous job is not created yet (Or will be cretead using Databricks asset bundles in higher envs when deploying the bundle). I dont want to make it a hard-coded job-id.

3 REPLIES 3

jeffrey597doss
New Contributor II

Hello!

To create a new job in Databricks Asset Bundles that refers to another job-task without hard-coding the job ID, use job parameters to pass dynamic values. Define a job parameter to hold the job ID once itโ€™s created and use placeholders in your job configuration. This way, you can dynamically set the job ID when deploying the bundle.

ramy
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response. However, it makes the process manual as when the first job is deployed, then get the first job-id and pass it to the second job to as a paramter-value and deploy the second job. I was looking for a way where the first job key (say name) can be used a reference parameter in the second job definition, so it stays dynamic.

ally-r
New Contributor III

Good question. If the job is created outside of the asset bundle, and exists before this bundle will be used for the first time you can use a lookup variable

variables:
  your_job_id:
    lookup:
      job: "your_job_name"

If it's created inside the same bundle you can reference it directly

${resources.jobs.<job-name>.id}

I've not tried these in anger though, so let me know how you get on.

https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/bundles/variables.html

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group