Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to call a table created with create_table using dlt in a separate notebook?

rt-slowth
Contributor

I created a separate pipeline notebook to generate the table via DLT, and a separate notebook to write the entire output to redshift at the end. The table created via DLT is called spark.read.table("{schema}.{table}").
This way, I can import

[MATERIALIZED_VIEW_OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED.REQUIRES_SHARED_COMPUTE] The materialized view operation query is not allowed: Cannot query the Materialized View main.voyager.shop_silver from an Assigned or No Isolation Shared cluster, please use a Shared cluster or a Databricks SQL warehouse instead.

I get this error. How can I fix it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rt-slowth, The error message you received indicates that materialized views in Delta Lake require access to metadata unavailable in a non-shared Databricks job cluster.

Specifically, materialized views rely on access to the Databricks metadata store to perform query op....

Here are some steps to address this issue:

Enable Materialized Views:

Cluster Type:

Review Materialized View Creation:

• Verify that the materialized view creation process adheres to the correct syntax and requirements.
  • Ensure the materialized view is correctly created based on your business logic and data requirements.

Check Permissions:

• The user creating the materialized view should have the necessary permissions:
    • SELECT privilege over the base tables referenced by the materialized view.
    • USAGE privilege on the catalog and schema containing the materialized view.

Refresh Schedule:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rt-slowth, The error message you received indicates that materialized views in Delta Lake require access to metadata unavailable in a non-shared Databricks job cluster.

Specifically, materialized views rely on access to the Databricks metadata store to perform query op....

Here are some steps to address this issue:

Cluster Type:

Review Materialized View Creation:

• Verify that the materialized view creation process adheres to the correct syntax and requirements.
  • Ensure the materialized view is correctly created based on your business logic and data requirements.

Check Permissions:

• The user creating the materialized view should have the necessary permissions:
    • SELECT privilege over the base tables referenced by the materialized view.
    • USAGE privilege on the catalog and schema containing the materialized view.

Refresh Schedule:

- Consider using DBSQL Serverless (recommended) or Pro warehouse for materialized views.

- Ensure that materialized view features are enabled for your workspace.

Can you point me to the documentation for this workaround?

@Kaniz 

• Ensure that materialized view features are enabled for your workspace.
  • Consider using DBSQL Serverless (recommended) or Pro warehouse for materialized views.

Can you point me to the documentation for this workaround?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.