Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect to aws elasticsearch of another account from databricks

niladri
New Contributor

Hi -  I have tried my level best to go through both elasticsearch documentation as well as Databricks documentation to get an answer for my question - is it possible to connect to AWS elasticsearch of a different AWS account from Databricks? I did not find an answer. I am writing code in PySpark.

Apache Spark - 3.12 , DBR : Standard 9.2 LTS
as mentioned in Databricks documentation and was running the following code. It did not help at all.
df = (spark.read
.format( "org.elasticsearch.spark.sql" )
.option( "es.nodes", hostname )
.option( "es.port", port )
.option( "es.net.ssl", 'true' )
.option( "es.nodes.wan.only", "true" )
.load( f"{index}" )
)
The error I am getting is : AccessControlException: Permission denied: user [***] does not have [read] privilege on [dbfs:/***] ( I have masked the user and the ES name ) 
I think the right way is to do an assume role using boto3 and then somehow configure Spark session to assume the IAM role. Am I correct?
Is it not do-able through PySpark?
1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @niladri , It's possible to connect to AWS Elasticsearch of a different AWS account from Databricks.
- The error is related to permissions, indicating the user or role lacks necessary access permissions.
- To solve this, use AWS SDK boto3 to assume a role with necessary permissions.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.