Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable/verify cloud fetch from PowerBI

Erik
Valued Contributor II

I tried to benchmark the Powerbi Databricks connector vs the powerbi Delta Lake reader on a dataset of 2.15million rows. I found that the delta lake reader used 20 seconds, while importing through the SQL compute endpoint took ~75 seconds.

When I look at the query profile in SQL compute I see that 50 seconds are spendt in the "Columnar To Row" step. This makes me rather suspicios, since I got the impression that with an updated PowerBI we would take advantage of "cloud fetch" which creates files containing Apache Arrow batches, which is a columnar format. So why the conversion to rows? Maybe it is not actually using cloud fetch? Is there any way to verify that I am actually using cloud fetch? Either in PowerBi logs or in the Databricks SQL compute endpoint web interface?

query_statisticsquery_profile_tree_view

22 REPLIES 22

Erik
Valued Contributor II

It helps, but it did not solve it. See my reply to him.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the update @Erik Parmann​ . We'll try to find a suitable answer for you.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Erik Parmann​ did you have a chance to look at this document?

https://docs.databricks.com/integrations/bi/jdbc-odbc-bi.html#arrow-serialization-in-odbc

Erik
Valued Contributor II

Yes, thanks. In my case we are using Azure databricks, and I am not able to find an equally detailed description of cloud fetch on azure databricks, and if there are any settings we might have which dissables it.

cchalc
New Contributor III

You would need to set EnableQueryResultsDownload Flag to 0 (zero) which will disable cloud fetch.

cchalc
New Contributor III

So why is ColumnarToRow required?

pichlerpa
New Contributor III

Hi everyone, check out my latest blog post to verify whether or not cloudfetch is actually used, maybe you also find some other optimizations there:

https://medium.com/creative-data/boosting-databricks-odbc-driver-be2cf08a7a4a?sk=bd814e0c3d6a9b32beb...

pulkitm
New Contributor III

Guys, is there any way to switch off CloudFetch and fall back to ArrowResultSet by default irrespective of size? using the latest version of Spark Simba ODBC driver?