cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a python task that uses click for CLI operations

Garrus990
Visitor

Hey,

in my application I am using click to facilitate CLI operations. It works locally, in notebooks, when scripts are run locally, but it fails in Databricks. I defined a task that, as an entrypoint, accepts the file where the click-decorated function resides, I pass the required params and everything works just fine up until the end of the task's run. Then the following error is raised:

SystemExit: 0
An exception has occurred, use %tb to see the full traceback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exit                                      Traceback (most recent call last)
File /local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/cluster_libraries/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/click/core.py:1088, in BaseCommand.main(self, args, prog_name, complete_var, standalone_mode, windows_expand_args, **extra)
   1080             return rv
   1081         # it's not safe to `ctx.exit(rv)` here!
   1082         # note that `rv` may actually contain data like "1" which
   1083         # has obvious effects
   (...)
   1086         # even always obvious that `rv` indicates success/failure
   1087         # by its truthiness/falsiness
-> 1088         ctx.exit()
   1089 except (EOFError, KeyboardInterrupt) as e:
   1090     echo(file=sys.stderr)

File /local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/cluster_libraries/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/click/core.py:692, in Context.exit(self, code)
    690 def exit(self, code: int = 0) -> "te.NoReturn":
    691     """Exits the application with a given exit code."""
--> 692     raise Exit(code)

Exit: 0

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

SystemExit: 0

I want to reiterate that the task is successful in the sense that it executes what is requested and stores the data I want to store. The error appears AFTER the code is executed and it isn't even manifested in the run's logs - they are impeccable. In click's documentation it says: "This will always terminate the application after a call. If this is not wanted, SystemExit needs to be caught." I was trying to catch the execution, but it's all in vain as, most likely, I do not even know where to catch.

0 REPLIES 0

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group