cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[INTERNAL_ERROR] The Spark SQL phase analysis failed with an internal error

lurban
New Contributor

Hello,

I am currently working through an issue I am seeing when querying a Lakehouse Federation UC table in a workflow. I am using pyspark to query a table through Lakehouse Federation which returns a result based on the query. When running it in a certain workflow, I receive the error below: 

org.apache.spark.SparkException: [INTERNAL_ERROR] The Spark SQL phase analysis failed with an internal error. You hit a bug in Spark or the Spark plugins you use. Please, report this bug to the corresponding communities or vendors, and provide the full stack trace.

This is a workflow with 20+ tasks and fails at the final task step when executing this function. I tried the same function on an all-purpose cluster as well as running it in a smaller workflow with only 3 tasks and had no problems. However in this larger workflow, I am seeing the issue consistently after 3 + runs with no resolution. 

I have loosely narrowed it to an issue with the Lakehouse Federation feature within unity catalog and potentially the fact that the workflow is larger. Has anyone run across this issue before and if so, what was the resolution? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 REPLY 1

LindasonUk
New Contributor II

I hit a similar error when trying to view FC data using a cluster with a lower Databricks Runtime.

Needs to be DBR 13.1 or higher.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group