Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPython shell `set_next_input` not working

New Contributor II

I'm running on 11.3 LTS.

Expected Behavior:

Jupyter Shell ExampleDatabricks Notebook Behavior (it does nothing):

Databricks Behavior 

You can also do `shell.set_next_input("test", replace=True)` to replace the current cell content which also doesn't work on Databricks.

`set_next_input` stores this input in the payload manager which is then stored in the reply after execute in the `payload` key: https://github.com/ipython/ipykernel/blob/main/ipykernel/ipkernel.py#L433-L439

It seems like Databricks is not recognizing the payload in the reply and the information is getting dropped. Happy to help in any way to get this resolved since this feature is important for the work we are doing on Databricks.

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ryan Eakman​, Can you try the DBR version 11.2?

New Contributor II

Hey @Kaniz Fatma​, thanks for taking the time to reply! I just tried DBR version 11.2 and it also has this issue. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.